Monday 11 April 2016

What makes a perfect teacher?

For our first Quest in the Passionate Learner Experiment we had to answer the question "What makes the perfect teacher?" Heres what happened when I sat down for an exclusive interview :)


What makes a perfect teacher?
An exclusive Interview with Abby Skene

Earlier this week we sat down with Grade 12 student Abby Skene to get a better understanding of how she learns and get her ideas on the age old question…
WHAT MAKES THE PERFECT TEACHER?
From: http://moviepilot.com/posts/3544235

Interviewer: Hello Abby thanks for coming in today

Abby: I am happy to be here :)

Interviewer: Well I know you are a busy girl so let's get right down to it…. First we would like to ask you what do you need from a teacher in order to be a successful learner?

Abby: Hmmmmmm well I would have to say that understanding, patients, and enthusiasm are important characteristics for me in my teachers.  I tend to take a little bit longer to process new concepts and understand exactly what I have to get done for a project. I really appreciate it when teachers are understanding of the extra explanation I sometimes need and are willing to go over things until I feel comfortable with what i'm doing. I love to learn new things and be a part of projects but I find it very difficult to make quality work when my teacher is not engaged.  I am so much happier to work and participate if my teacher is enthusiastic and excited about what I'm doing.
From: http://www.afraidtoask.com/tag/understanding/

Interviewer: Alright that was a great answer now a similar question but a little different...What do you WANT from a teacher?

Abby: Hmmm well that's a little trickier.  I like it when teachers take the time to get to know me and care about what's going on in my life.  It's important to me that teachers don't just see me as someone who comes to their class everyday but as an enthusiastic and engaged individual. I like to be a part of a bigger picture so I love it when we have assignment in class that help us reach out to other people and make a real difference in our community
From: http://edupln.ning.com/profiles/blogs/yawn-yawn-go-away-little-johnny-wants-to-be-engaged

Interviewer: Wow very interesting answer….. Can you tell us a little about what you have loved about a teacher in the past

Abby: Oh I have had so many amazing teachers it's hard to pick just a few things.  I think the quality that all my favorite teacher have shared are interesting assignments. Some examples of great assignments I have in the past are…

-In my ancient civilizations class last year we did a project on Egypt where we created a tomb full of information on a Pharaoh then had to solve hieroglyphic clues to find where the tombs were hidden around the school as if we were tomb raiders

- In my Link crew class this year we got to create a lesson based on a chapter in the book "Me to We" and create an activity that helped people develop the skills learned in that chapter

-Also in my link crew class this year we wrote letters to Santa at Christmas asking for two changes we wanted to see in the world, two changes we wanted to see in our school, and two changes we wanted to see in ourselves I love to be creative and try new things and when my teachers help guide me with assignments that allow me to develop those skills I thrive. My favorite teachers have also been willing to give me extra help and have worked with me to make my learning experience as great as it could be.  I do my best to reach out and get help when I need it but it is also nice to have a teacher reach out to me with suggestions.

From: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/287597126177631566/

Interviewer: Wow passionately put Abby :) Now our last question for you today is what are things you wish you could change about past teachers?

Abby: It really frustrates me when teachers don't take the time to get to know me.  I am a passionate, enthusiastic, loud, and engaged learner but sometimes I get perceived as just loud, disruptive, and self absorbed.  I get very excited about what I have to say and if I speak out of turn it is most likely because I am very engaged in the conversation and forget to raise my hand. I have a lot of teachers whose classes I could have loved if they had realized I am not just a loud drama kid.
From: http://www.artfulthinkers.com/dont-confuse-confidence-with-enthusiasm

Interviewer: Well Abby I can tell you have really thought hard about these questions and I thank you for sharing with us today.  We hope to talk to you again very soon

Abby: Thank you for having I'm sure you will hear more from me on my passionate learner journey

From: http://www.clipartpanda.com/categories/excited-kids-clipart

4 comments:

  1. I love your blog Abby! The pictures and the interview style make it very engaging and helps to capture my mini attention span! What is Link Crew class? It sounds fun, and I could not guess due to its non-descriptive name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, you've showcased not only your great ideas, but also a creative way of sharing them. Writing this out in an interview is wonderful!

    Keep up the great work! I believe in you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, you've showcased not only your great ideas, but also a creative way of sharing them. Writing this out in an interview is wonderful!

    Keep up the great work! I believe in you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Abby,
    I love that you toke a different approach to this part of the mission by displaying you ideal teacher in a interview-format. It was great to see the perspective and opinion of each person. I love that yo added pictures to appeal to the visual learners, it also makes the post a lot more brighter and compelling. Keep up the great work,
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete